The Church of Saint Therapon
The largest and most magnificent church in Mitilini is Saint Therapon built in 1860 by the Lesbian architect Argyris Adalis. The church belongs to the style of cross-in-square domed, with neoclassical elements and influences from the Renaissance. The exterior decoration is work of the Lesbian painter and sculptor Nikolaos Kesanlis. It is full of Byzantine icons and impressive wood-carvings and gold and there is also the grave of the great scholar and Metropolitan of Hungary and Blahia, Ignatios. Supposedly, the church sits on top of the ancient Asclepieion. The church is located just behind the harbour road in the market.