The Church of the Panagia of Agiassos
One of the most visited churches of the island is Kimisi of Theotokos (Assumtion of the Virgin), broadly known as Panagia of Agiassos. A very interesting tradition is preserved concerning the icon of the Virgin and the Infant, work of the Luke the Evangelist, which was brought to the island by the priest-monk Agathon the Ephesian in 802. In 1170 the first church of Panagia was built and today the church is a three-aisled triune basilica. A small ecclesiastic museum operates at the courtyard since 1972, where portable icons, manuscripts, old books, vestments embroidered with gold and other precious objects. The most important exhibit is the cross that according to the tradition, Agathon brought with him from Jerusalem and distinguished, regarding its rarity is an embroidered Epitaph of the Virgin, creation form Constantinople of the year 1812.
During a two week period leading up to the 15th of August, which is the Holy Day of the Virgin, pilgrims begin flocking to the church not only from Lesvos but all over Greece to embrace the icon of the Virgin. The eve of the celebration is connected with the custom that is followed by thousands of Lesbians, according to which starting from their place, of residence they go on foot the entire way up to Agiassos.
There is another festival on September 14th commemorating the day when the Holy cross which Agathon brought back from Jerusalem after it was consecrated on Golgotha. The Cross was made with wood from the True Cross and is kept in the museum of the church