The Theophilos Museum
This is located in the delightfully cool region of Akrotiri in the suburb of Vareia, 4 Km from the town of Mytilini. It was built in 1965 at the instigation and expense of the internationally renowned Parisian art critic Stratis Eleftheriades Teriad who was from the island. It is divided into five rooms and houses 86 paintings by the folk painter Theophilos Chatzimicheal (1873-1934) who was recognized as a great folk artist after his death. There are some of his works visible in old buildings around the island. Theophilos always wore Greek national dress and died after a life of deprivation and poverty. His works are primitive in their conception of anatomy and perspective, but owe much of their charm to special substances used in the preparation of the paints which give them stability and a glossy texture. Theophilos was most drawn to themes taken from nature and history. Teriad met him in 1928 and was impressed by his primitive grasp of artistic essentials and the harmony displayed by his works. He asked Theophilos to paint on canvas, as he painted on wood or done murals, in an attempt to save for posterity some of the freshness and truth of the artist???s work. According to Teriad, Theophilos never asked for money. His last 120 works are regarded as his most representative and some of his works were on display even in the Louvre. Some of the most famous works in the museum are those showing the Limnian Shepherd, the Bay of Gera and the Fisherman???s Dance.?